Sunday, July 19, 2009

Glam's Book Club

Glam again, and as someone who is fond of a book, I'd like to encourage everyone to pick up a new one! So I'm going to tell you what's on my shelf, and a little thought on each one to get you in the mood! These books range from the silly and childish to the purely pretentious, but I feel it's important for one to be well-rounded, don't you? These won't be in alphabetical order because I haven't got all night, I've got lots more blogging to do.

Easy Learning German Words- I'm half-heartedly learning to speak German, and this is one of the books that helps me to do it!
Teach Yourself German- This is a teach yourself course that also comes with CDs to accompany the text!
Teach Yourself German Grammar- This is pretty self explanatory.
Teach Yourself German Vocabulary- Again, obvious.
The Writer's Handbook 2010- I'm writing a novel and when it is finished this book will come in handy, as it's filled with details of literary agents and publishers around the world!
Writing Fiction- This is good for help with structure when writing fiction.
now some actual books.
Bridget Jones's Diary Helen Fielding- What can I say, I like everyone else ever who is a bit socially awkward can identify with Bridget. And it makes me cackle!
Twilight William Gay- Not the twilight you're expecting, that comes later-this is about a brother and sister in rural Tennessee who discover something sinister is happening with the town's dead thanks to the perverse undertaker.
Everything is Illuminated Jonathan Safran Foer- Basically this fella goes to the Ukraine to find the lady that saved his grandfather from the Nazis, with the help of a rubbish translator and a horny guide dog.
The Bell Jar Sylvia Plath- One of my faves: Esther goes a bit nuts and tries to kill herself, winding up in a mental hospital, basically.
A Clockwork Orange Anthony Burgess- You've seen the movie, so read the book: it's better.
London Belongs to Me Norman Collins- I'll confess: I haven't read this yet.
The Virgin Suicides Jeffrey Eugenides- This is another read the book rather than watch the movie situation, it's very pretty.
On The Road Jack Kerouac- This is the original scroll, that was typed out in 3 weeks about the ultimate American road trip.
Franny and Zooey J.D. Salinger- My favourite Salinger book, about sister and brother Franny and Zooey: Franny kind of goes off the deep end reading something called the Jesus Poem, and Zooey is horrible to his fat Irish mother in a hilarious way.
Venus as a Boy Luke Sutherland- I found this in Borders once, about a tranny called Desiree who is dying by turning into gold in a Soho brothel.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince J.K. Rowling I have all the books but I don't know where on earth they are, but this one is the new movie which is great but there's so much more in the book that how can you resist picking it up and giving it a go?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows J.K. Rowling This is the best Potter book except for the epilogue which is retarded so I skip it, but the book itself is epic and hilarious and gripping.
Dracula Bram Stoker- What can I say, I like a vampire book, and this one is top notch, though actually I haven't read it in its entirety since I probably was about 13.
Collins Paperback Thesaurus- I mean, who doesn't need a thesaurus at hand?
The Informers Brett Easton Ellis- This is a new addition, so I haven't even read it yet.
Less Than Zero Brett Easton Ellis- More of the same style lost youth story from Mr. Ellis about a jaded college kid who goes home to California and sees and does some rank things.
Glamorama Brett Easton Ellis- And another lost youth story, though this one is completely ridiculous (and fun to read) about a recurring character Victor who gets swept up in a gang of supermodel terrorists-there is a lengthy bisexual threesome scene that is very graphic and an even more graphic mid-flight plane explosion that has ruined flying for me forever.
Let the Right One In John Ajvide Lindqvist- This is another movie, which was alright but the book is better and it's about a little eunuch vampire who falls in love with a chubby bullied Swedish boy, also to note are the vampire's guardian who is a paedophile and does all her killing for it.
Junky William S. Burroughs- This was the book that made me want to take drugs, even though it's completely depressing.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being Milan Kundera- This one is also depressing but also is very beautiful, and the bit where the dog dies makes me cry every single time-sorry if I've spoiled it for you, but the dog dies.
The Abs Diet David Zinczenko This is a book that teaches you about nutrition and exercise to keep fat off you and a nice toned bod, but I stopped listening to it and stopped being toned-take from that what you will.
Chuck Palahniuk- There are a couple of these but I'm not even going to write about them because to be honest, I don't really enjoy them.

In fact, I'm bored of this now, so I'll list what's left and you can write your own sentences after you read them. Then we can discuss. Enjoy!

The Idiot Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Outsider Albert Camus
Anthem Ayn Rand
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest Ken Kesey
The Master and Margarita Mikhail Bulgakov
Lolita Vladimir Nabokov
Brave New World Aldous Huxley
Orlando Virginia Woolf
Sex and the City Candace Bushnell
a: a novel Andy Warhol
White Noise Don DeLillo
Colloquial Icelandic
Teach Yourself Icelandic
The Twilight Saga Stephanie Meyer

I hope that was fun for you. Stay tuned, Bird and Alert will have things to say soon.
-Glam

No comments:

Post a Comment